How to request Special Collections materials from a finding aid (OAC)
2. Via Library Search, under “Links” click the “OAC finding aid” link at the bottom of the record to be directed to the finding aid on the Online Archive of California.
3. Review the finding aid to determine the specific materials you would like to see, and note any access restrictions or other conditions of use.
4. Click the “Request items” link at the top of the main page of the finding aid.
5. Log in to Aeon using your Kerberos credentials (UC Davis Faculty, Staff and Students) or your Aeon username and password (Non-UC Davis affiliates).
- If you do not have an Aeon account you can create one by following the steps on the Registration for Non-UC Davis affiliates page.
6. A requestable version of the finding aid will appear in Aeon.
-Select the checkbox next to the container (box or carton) you wish to request. Some finding aids also allow you to select a specific folder; please make sure that the folder you select also lists a box or carton number. You can select multiple folders within one box per request.
– If the finding aid does not have checkboxes, please indicate the container number to Library staff in the Notes or Questions for Library Staff field at the bottom of the form. Example: Box 1.
– Please only list ONE box per request form! If you need to request multiple containers from the same collection, use the Clone Request feature and if you reach your request limit, contact Special Collections at SpecColl@ucdavis.edu.
– If you have any questions, please contact Special Collections at SpecColl@ucdavis.edu or 530-752-1621.
7. Choose whether you want to place the request now (Anticipated Date of Visit) or if you want to save the request for later (Save for future consideration). Materials must be requested at least 7 business days in advance as most manuscript and University Archives collections are stored offsite.
- Select Anticipated Date of Visit if you know the date you will come to the Library to view the material. Materials will be retrieved for you and placed on hold. Please check your Aeon account to confirm that the item status is listed as “Available in Reading Room” before visiting. If you do not visit the Library to view your requested items, they will be returned to the stacks or offsite storage facility.
- Choose Save for future consideration if you do not know the date you will visit the Library. Please note that any request you have placed in the “Save for future consideration” category is not processed until you select and submit it from the “Unsubmitted Requests” listing under the “Requests” menu in the left-hand navigational bar. Please update your request in advance of your intended visit, as most materials are stored offsite.
8. Click “Submit Request” to confirm.