Donations to Special Collections

Contact Kevin Miller, Head of Archives and Special Collections, to describe the materials that you wish to offer to the department via email at

More information about ways to support the University Library can be found at the library’s Alumni and Friends page.

The Department of Special Collections welcomes monetary or estate planning donations. Funds are critical for the support of our programs that include purchases for rare books and manuscripts; the processing of manuscript collections by archivists or student interns; archival materials to store collections appropriately; assistance for special events and projects; and/or the support of specific collections such as the Michael and Margaret B. Harrison Western Research Collection.

The collections have been richly enhanced by the donations of materials to the library. Historical manuscript and photograph collections; local history collections, business records especially relating to agriculture and viticulture and enology, University faculty papers, rare and unique books, pamphlets, and serials, and other material donations to the department have helped to create a world class Special Collections at the University Library, University of California, Davis.

Please contact us so we may discuss the materials you would like to offer the library. A determination of whether an item or collection will be appropriately placed at the Department of Special Collections requires careful review, as we consider the collections best placement, its provenance or history, and its possible uses for our faculty, students, and researchers.

The Archives and Special Collections department, through the Archives and Institutional Assets Program (AIAP), is charged with collecting, preserving, administering, and providing access to the University Archives.  We welcome historical archives and records from the administrative offices, campus organizations, and student groups. Please contact us at (530) 752‑2114 or to discuss the records that you wish to transfer to the University Archives.