Information for Visitors
Open by Appointment Only
- Onsite appointment blocks are available Monday-Friday from 1:00-5:00pm.
- Many of our collections are stored at our offsite facility (NRLF) and can take 7-9 business days to arrive onsite. Prior to scheduling an appointment, please check the Aeon status of your request or email us at SpecColl@ucdavis.edu to confirm that the item(s) you are requesting are stored onsite.
- Appointments must be made 48 business hours prior to your arrival. You may schedule your appointment up to 2 weeks in advance.
- Schedule an appointment HERE.
- Requests for materials must also be made 48 business hours (or 7-9 days if stored at NRLF) in advance of onsite visits using our request system, Aeon.
- Reading Room capacity is limited to four researchers at a time.
- Note that it may be necessary to reschedule or cancel your appointment due to operational limitations or other factors. We will notify you in such circumstances.
Schedule an appointment
- There are four appointments available each day.
- Choose the date and time. Appointments must be made 48 business hours in advance of visit.
- Complete the appointment form.
- You will receive an automatic confirmation email from the system. We will send an additional email with important details about your visit.
- After you schedule your appointment, please use the Special Collections request system (Aeon) to request the items that you will use for your visit. Please note that this step must also be completed 48 business hours in advance of your appointment.
- If you need to cancel your appointment, please email us at SpecColl@ucdavis.edu in a timely manner.
On your appointment day
- To enter the reading room, you will need your UC Davis campus id, face covering, and approved daily symptom survey. Non-UC Davis affiliates will need a photo id, face covering, approved daily symptom survey and proof of vaccination* OR a negative test administered within 72 hours of your visit. The test must show your full name, the date the test was administered and the word negative or not detected along with a photo ID matching the name for entry.
- Please observe floor signs and social distancing in the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room.
- You will be assigned a locker and a seat.
- Your face covering must be worn at all times.
- There may be a public computer available for use.
- You will be able to request additional materials for same day use if they are stored onsite.
*A physical copy of your CDC vaccination card, a picture of your CDC vaccination card, State of California digital COVID-19 record using the My Vacccine Record Website or App.*
Special Collections welcomes students, faculty, and members of the general public that follow our regular Reading Room rules. The information below provides website information regarding directions, travel, and accommodations.
Groups of four or more researchers should contact Special Collections to book a specific research appointment time.
Most collections are stored offsite and need to be retrieved for your research visit. To begin the request process, researchers should request boxes via the Special Collections Request System (Aeon) at least seven business days before visiting. Please check your Aeon account to confirm that the item is ready for your use before visiting our Reading Room.
Please also see our and Access and Policies pages for further information about using the collections including instruction on proper care and handling of materials.
Traveling researchers should connect with us in advance in case there are changes to the schedule.
|Archives and Special Collections is open for in-person services by appointment ONLY, Tuesday-Friday, 1:30-4:30 p.m.|
See the Covid-19 information above.
We will be closed through the winter break, Dec. 21-Jan. 2.
|Contact Archives and Special Collections
leave a message:
- From I-80, exit at UC Davis.
- Turn right on Old Davis Road if you exit west bound. Turn left on Old Davis Road if you exit east bound. Continue past the Visitor Information Kiosk toward the parking structure.
- Turn right directly before the parking structure and continue into Visitor Parking Lot 1 or 2.
- Use the ParkMobile app to purchase a parking permit. More information is available on the Transportation Services website.
- Walk 2 blocks north to Shields Library. The Special Collections Department is on the first floor, to the left, as you enter the building.
The Davis Amtrak station is located 840 2nd Street.
- To reach Shields Library on foot, walk west on 2nd Street.
- At the intersection of 2nd and B Streets, take a left onto B Street.
- At the intersection of B and 1st Streets, take a right onto 1st Street.
- Continue walking on 1st Street as it enters the University campus. 1st Street turns into Peter J. Shields Ave. once it hits campus.
- Shields Library is located at the corner of Peter J. Shields Ave. and West Quad Avenue. The Special Collections Department is located on the first floor, to the left, as you enter the building.
Bus service from the Amtrak station to Shields Library is available via Unitrans. The A line services the Amtrak station and Shields Library.
For information about how to connect to the UC Davis Guest Wireless Access, please see the Campus Wireless Access site.
Maps of the Area
- UC Davis Campus map
- Yolo County Visitors Bureau – Maps & Transportation — This page includes information about transportation options to the Davis area.
Places to Stay in Davis
On campus accommodations are available at the Hyatt Place Hotel.
A variety of accommodations are available in the City of Davis. For more information, please see the Yolo County Visitors Bureau
On Campus Food Options
Local Davis Restaurants
The Yolo County Visitors Bureau website also lists Davis Restaurants.