Information for Visitors
On October 6, Archives and Special Collections will re-open by appointment, for in person services to UC Davis students, faculty and staff only. Due to the COVID-19 public health crisis, services will be limited and delayed. Additional information regarding in-person services and how to make an appointment will be forthcoming. Please submit all questions and requests to email@example.com or leave a message at (530) 752‑1621.
- Remote reference services are available; however, reference inquiries that require access to materials stored offsite (NRLF) will be delayed until that facility reopens.
- Selective digitization of materials stored onsite can be provided for reference, instruction or research needs. Please inquire for more details. Reproductions for publication purposes will be filled provided the staff can access the relevant collection.
- Per usual practice, staff will instruct patrons to place digitization requests through the Aeon request system.
- We also encourage researchers to browse our online resources and digital collections.
Special Collections welcomes students, faculty, and members of the general public that follow our regular Reading Room rules. The information below provides website information regarding directions, travel, and accommodations.
Groups of four or more researchers should contact Special Collections to book a specific research appointment time.
Most collections are stored offsite and need to be retrieved for your research visit. To begin the request process, researchers should request boxes via the Special Collections Request System (Aeon) at least seven business days before visiting. Please check your Aeon account to confirm that the item is ready for your use before visiting our Reading Room.
Please also see our and Access and Policies pages for further information about using the collections including instruction on proper care and handling of materials.
Traveling researchers should connect with us in advance in case there are changes to the schedule.
|Archives and Special Collections will re-open for in-person services by appointment ONLY on October 6, 2020.||Contact Archives and Special Collections
leave a message:
- From I-80, exit at UC Davis.
- Turn right on Old Davis Road if you exit west bound. Turn left on Old Davis Road if you exit east bound. Continue past the Visitor Information Kiosk toward the parking structure.
- Turn right directly before the parking structure and continue into Visitor Parking Lot 1 or 2.
- Purchase your $10 all day parking permit from the yellow dispense machine located after the first four rows on your left when first entering the lot. Permit dispensers will accept quarters, one-dollar bills, Visa or MasterCard.
- Walk 2 blocks north to Shields Library. The Special Collections Department is on the first floor, to the left, as you enter the building.
The Davis Amtrak station is located 840 2nd Street.
- To reach Shields Library on foot, walk west on 2nd Street.
- At the intersection of 2nd and B Streets, take a left onto B Street.
- At the intersection of B and 1st Streets, take a right onto 1st Street.
- Continue walking on 1st Street as it enters the University campus. 1st Street turns into Peter J. Shields Ave. once it hits campus.
- Shields Library is located at the corner of Peter J. Shields Ave. and West Quad Avenue. The Special Collections Department is located on the first floor, to the left, as you enter the building.
Bus service from the Amtrak station to Shields Library is available via Unitrans. The A line services the Amtrak station and Shields Library.
For information about how to connect to the UC Davis Guest Wireless Access, please see the Campus Wireless Access site.
Maps of the Area
- UC Davis Campus map
- Yolo County Visitors Bureau – Maps & Transportation — This page includes information about transportation options to the Davis area.
Places to Stay in Davis
On campus accommodations are available at the Hyatt Place Hotel.
A variety of accommodations are available in the City of Davis. For more information, please see the Yolo County Visitors Bureau
On Campus Food Options
Local Davis Restaurants
The Yolo County Visitors Bureau website also lists Davis Restaurants.