News: University archives

The University Archives documents the history of the University of California, Davis and its faculty.
Gerome the gnome hopes that UC Davis staff members enjoy the 35th Thank Goodness for Staff (TGFS) Celebration today. In celebration of TGFS, Gerome has brought out our collection of TGFS buttons from the University Archives. You’ll notice that we don’t have a button from each year’s celebration. ...
May 7, 2015 • Sara Gunasekara
Today’s On This Day post takes us to the May 4, 1965 dedication of the Carolee Shields Garden in the UC Davis Arboretum. Carolee Shields (1876-1971), was an avid gardener and wife of Peter J. Shields, a Sacramento Superior Court judge who wrote the legislation that led to the establishment ...
May 4, 2015 • Sara Gunasekara
Today’s On This Day post celebrates the twenty-fifth anniversary of the signing of the UC Davis Principles of Community. More information about the history of the Principles of Community can be found on the Office of Campus Community Relations website here. The photo below, from the ...
April 20, 2015 • Sara Gunasekara
It is Picnic Day Pre-Week here on campus so what better collection for Gerome to highlight than the Picnic Day Collection!  The collection contains programs, newspaper clippings, and memorabilia from Picnic Day celebrations from 1909 to the present. We also hold the Picnic Day Board of Directors Records which include ...
April 15, 2015 • Sara Gunasekara
Today’s feature in our On This Day series takes us to the April 9, 1938 dedication of the Gymnasium and Swimming Pool. President Robert G. Sproul presided over the dedication ceremony which included a speech, Athletics and the Well Rounded Man, by Peter J. Shields. The concrete building, designed ...
April 9, 2015 • Sara Gunasekara
Today’s feature in our On This Day series takes us to the opening of the west wing of Shields Library which occurred twenty five years ago on April 2, 1990. The 140,000 square foot addition was designed by architects Simon Martin-Vegue Winkelstein Morris. The dedication ceremony occurred on October 19, 1990 ...
April 2, 2015 • Sara Gunasekara