News: University archives

The University Archives documents the history of the University of California, Davis and its faculty.
No fooling: Gerome has found a recipe for a toast sandwich! Artisanal toast may be popular in fancy cafés at the moment, but in Mrs. Beeton’s day, toast was a way of using up every bit of bread. If you would like to try this culinary delight ...
April 1, 2015 • Liz Phillips
Today’s feature in our On This Day series takes us back to the March 4, 1972 dedication of Roessler Hall. Edward B. Roessler (1902-1993) taught on the Davis campus from 1933 until his retirement in 1970. In addition to holding a Professorship in Mathematics, he served as Chairman of ...
March 4, 2015 • Sara Gunasekara
If you mustache, YES we have Aggie Pride and the University Archives! Gunrock the original school mascot has also joined in on showing his #GoAgs spirit. Today the familiar blue Aggie mascot is of Gunrock the mustang, however, the original campus mascot was a Thoroughbred named ...
February 20, 2015 • Jenny Hodge
For Aggie Pride Friday, Gerome decided to wear his Aggie Pride mustache while highlighting one of our oldest pieces of University memorabilia. This University Farm pennant, circa 1920, is from the McKinnon and Ruble Families Papers. Lewis Ruble McKinnon (1901-1956) studied agriculture at the University Farm School ...
February 20, 2015 • Sara Gunasekara
Our latest Then & Now installment takes us to a place near and dear to us, the Main Reading Room of Shields Library. The north wing of the Library, which houses the Reading Room, was completed in 1940. Prior to the completion of this building the Library was housed ...
February 4, 2015 • Sara Gunasekara
Today’s feature in our On This Day series takes us to the November 25, 1975 dedication of Kerr Hall. Kerr Hall, completed in 1969, was originally known as Academic Office Building (AOB) #3. The building was designed by Frederick L.R. Confer & Associates of Concord. The dedication program included ...
November 25, 2014 • Sara Gunasekara