- CAB Abstracts
- CINAHL Plus Full Text
- Electronic Databases A-Z
- Electronic Journals
- Electronic Texts (select)
- Health Science Tutorials (24/7)
UCD Health Links
- My Account
- Activate your library card
- Connect From Off Campus
- For Faculty and Graduate Students
- For Undergraduate Students
- Scholarly Communication
- UC Davis Open Access Fund
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Interlibrary Loan obtains materials or copies of materials that are not available at UC Davis from other libraries within the UC system or from libraries throughout the world. The ILL service is only available to UC Davis faculty, staff, and students in support of university research, teaching, coursework, and patient care. As there are significant costs associated with ILL, requests for recreational materials should be placed through your public library.
Eligibility for Interlibrary Loan
- Current UC Davis Student, Faculty, or Staff
- Eligible with valid library card. Refer to Ordering Options for UC Davis Students, Staff and Faculty
- UC Davis Affiliate at a remote UC Davis research facility
- Refer to Services for Remote Users for information.
- Licensed Healthcare Providers
- Refer to Document Delivery Service (DDS) for Licensed Healthcare Providers for information.
- All other indivuduals with UC Davis library cards (fee cards)
- Not eligible.
- Representative of another Institution or Library
- Refer to Health Sciences Libraries Lending Services for information.
Materials Available for Request
Most research materials can be borrowed through ILL. Books, theses, dissertations, periodical articles, conference proceedings, technical standards, and patents can be acquired in most cases. However, there are a number of exceptions:
Frequently Delayed Materials
- Reference and Special Collections items
- Current computer science titles
- Popular best sellers
- Materials not located in the UC system
Items That Cannot Be Requested
- Materials owned in any format by UC Davis libraries, unless checked-out, missing or lost. Use the Document Delivery Service to request these items, fees may apply.
- Materials to be placed on Course Reserve. Refer to Reserves Services for more information.
- Materials for personal use not connected to university work.
- Whole issues or volumes of journals.
- Reference materials.
- Newspapers in original format.
In addition, some libraries have categories of materials that are not available on ILL. These include: rare, fragile, or unique materials; audiovisual materials such as video tapes and sound recordings; some dissertations; and items in Special Collections. Please consult the Health Sciences Libraries ILL offices before requesting these materials.
ILL and the University of California libraries are committed to providing fast access to shared library resources.
Our goal is to have your request sent to potential lenders within one (1) business day of its submission and to notify you of its receipt within one (1) business day of the items arrival.
It is a good idea to allow at least 1 to 3 weeks for ILL items to arrive, especially for materials not owned by UC Libraries; some requests may arrive sooner.
Every attempt will be made to fill all orders, but delivery cannot be guaranteed since materials are occasionally in use or missing. Requesters will be notified of delays. Requests must comply with current United States copyright law.
It is possible for us to place rush orders; please use this option judiciously. We cannot guarantee that lenders will provide rush delivery. You must phone the Health Sciences Libraries ILL office to alert staff that you have submitted a rush request.
Rush requests noted "PATIENT CARE EMERGENCY" will be processed immediately. Please call the Health Sciences Libraries ILL office at (530) 752‑6379 to alert staff of your request.
Loan periods for ILL materials are set by the lending library. The lending library may also set special conditions of the loan, such as "library use only" or "non-renewable." Renewals may be requested by contacting the ILL unit of your home library.
Contact Interlibrary Loan Services
- The Health Sciences Libraries Interlibrary Loan Service is located at the Carlson Health Sciences Library in the Health Sciences District on the UC DAVIS campus (see map).
- Phone: (530) 752‑6379
- The Interlibrary Loan Service for Shields Library and the Physical Sciences & Engineering Library is located in Shields Library on the first floor, near the Circulation Desk (see map).
- Phone: (530) 752‑2251