- Subject Guides
- Librarian Subject Specialists
- Recommend a Purchase for Collection
- Ask a Reference Question
- Ask a UC Librarian
- My Account
- Activate your library card
- Connect From Off Campus
- For Faculty and Graduate Students
- For Undergraduate Students
- Scholarly Communication
- UC Davis Open Access Fund
Humanities & Social Sciences
World Music Research
- The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians
- Edited by Stanley Sadie ; executive editor, John Tyrrell. 2nd ed. New York : Grove's Dictionaries, 2001. 29 v. : ill., ports., music ; 27 cm.
- A comprehensive music reference resource with 22,000 articles covering music from all periods and encompassing all forms. Includes theory, practice, history, excellent biographies and lists of works, and detailed bibliographies.
- ML100 N48 2001
- Also available online. The online version lacks illustrations.
- The Garland Encyclopedia of World Music
- Advisory editors, Bruno Nettl and Ruth M. Stone; founding editors, James Porter and Timothy Rice. New York : Garland Pub., 1998-
- A multi-volume encyclopedia with excellent articles on music and dance in cultures around the world. v. 1. Africa -- v. 2. South America, Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean -- 4. Southeast Asia -- v. 5. South Asia : the Indian subcontinent -- v. 8. Europe -- v. 9. Australia and the Pacific Islands.
- ML100 G16 1998
- UCD Harvest Catalog
- Search the Harvest Catalog for books, scores and periodicals located in Shields Library. Searching may be done by author, title, or subject, as well as other more advanced choices.
- Music Department Library Catalog
- Most sound recordings are available in the Music Library. Its catalog can be accessed over the web, as well.
Databases and Indexes
The sources listed below are licensed by the University of California, Davis or the California Digital Library for the use of faculty, staff and students only. Only users recognized as UCD will be able to access these resources. If you are a UCD user and cannot connect to these resources, you may need to set up a proxy. For instructions on setting up a proxy, please go to: Connect From Off Campus.
- RILM: International Repertory of Music Literature
- RILM is a scholarly index containing abstracts of current literature on music. Abstracts are in English, titles are translated. Indexes hundreds of periodicals, plus dissertations and essays in conference reports and anthologies in several languages.
- Expanded Academic ASAP
- Multidisciplinary coverage of periodicals from arts and humanities, to social sciences to science and technology. Covers both popular magazines and and scholarly journals. Many articles with full text.
- National Newspaper Index
- Indexes articles in the Christian Science Monitor, Los Angeles Times, New York Times, New York Times Book Review, New York Times Magazine, Wall Street Journal and Washington Post.
- Anthropological Literature
- Citations to articles and essays in the fields of anthropology and archaeology.
E-mail the librarian: Michael Colby.
Return to the Shields Library Music Page.