Interlibrary Loan & Science Fax

General Information

UC faculty, staff, and students may use Science Fax and other Interlibrary Loan services to request materials not owned by the UC Davis University Library. UC Alumni, Associates, special card holders, and members of the general public can request Inter library Loan service at any public library.


Articles and Papers

Articles and papers requested at PSE are obtained primarily from libraries participating in Science Fax and Bioshare Fax. These programs were developed to share resources among the science, engineering, and bio-science libraries of the University of California and Stanford.

Photocopies of requested materials are usually available for pick-up in 24-48 hours, excluding weekends and holidays. Requesters are notified by e-mail when the materials arrive. Materials are held at the Physical Sciences & Engineering Library Circulation Desk for two weeks. Materials not picked up after two weeks are discarded.

Requests that cannot be filled through Science or Bioshare Fax are forwarded to Shields Library Interlibrary Loan. See the University Library Interlibrary Borrowing page for more information.


Books and Dissertations

Interlibrary requests at PSE are handled in conjunction with the Shields Library Interlibrary Loan Department and are covered by the same policies. Requests for books and dissertations submitted at PSE are forwarded to Shields Library. Most requests can be processed and filled within five working days. Items that must be obtained from sources outside the UC system will take longer. Notifications will be sent by e-mail. Materials must be picked up at the Shields Library Interlibrary Loan Office.

See the University Library Interlibrary Borrowing page for more information about these types of requests.


Preparing Requests

There are two ways to initiate a Science Fax or Interlibrary Loan request:

  • Use the REQUEST function in the web or telnet version of the MELVYL® Catalog or use the UC-eLinks icon from select article databases.
  • Use the ILL/DDS web forms

Following are some suggestions aimed at avoiding problems and delays:

  • Use abstract and indexing databases, or other sources to obtain complete citations for materials. Seek assistance at the Reference Desk if you are unable to complete a citation.
  • Include your name as it appears in your library record. Report name changes promptly at any circulation desk.
  • If you have a valid proxy card, include both your own name and the name of the faculty member for whom you are a proxy.
  • Include complete journal titles, no abbreviations.
  • Submit separate requests for each journal article needed; entire journal issues are usually not available through Interlibrary Loan.
  • If an undergraduate or administrative staff, state how much you are willing to pay in case charges apply. Usually materials obtained within the UC system incur no charge to the requester.

MELVYL is a registered trademark of The Regents of the University of California.