Other Book Collections
Women's History and Culture Collection
- Collection Number: P-130
- Size of the Collection:
- Approximately 1,200 volumes.
- History of this Collection:
- This collection was established in the mid-1990s in order to help document
some of the aspects of the role women have played in history and culture of
California and the nation. The collection has been built by selective purchases,
and a small number of donations.
- Overview/ Highlights of Collection:
- The collection includes many scarce and ephemeral publications documenting
the history of the women movement, ranging from early woman suffrage publications,
such as the 1902 Constitution of the California Woman Suffrage Association, to a
range of publications arising from the modern women's liberation movement. There
is a significant body of materials documenting the historical evolution of ideas
about the role and place of women over the last three centuries.
- Collection Strengths:
- Women's Rights Movement.
- Changing roles of women during the 19th and 20th centuries.
- Women in history and culture of California.
- Related Exhibit:
- A Woman's Place
- Items in the collection may be located through the library catalog by searching:
womens history and culture collection