Special Collections welcomes opportunities to collaborate with instructors from UC Davis and outside of campus. We focus on providing hands-on learning experiences and developing skills in using primary sources, also known as primary source literacy.
- To help us prepare for class visits, we require at least two weeks of advance notice
- A consultation with the Instruction & Outreach Librarian will be scheduled in order to discuss the class visit and determine the best materials to use
- Instruction takes place in a classroom that accommodates no more than 24 seated people. If your class has more than 24 students, please plan for more than one class visit
- Confirmation of requested times depends on the librarian’s and space availability. Class visits must be during our normal opening hours on Monday through Friday from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Instruction in Special Collections is a collaborative process. The Instruction & Outreach Librarian and the course instructor must both be present during every class visit
- Different types of class visits can take place in Special Collections, such as orientations, workshops, in-classroom demonstrations, assignment support, small group activities, as well as lectures led by course instructors. In each case, every class will receive a standard 10–15 minute introduction that covers a department overview and proper care and handling of materials
Class Visit Planning Process
- Requests are received
- Date and time of the instruction session is confirmed by the Instruction & Outreach Librarian
- Meet with the Instruction & Outreach Librarian to discuss the class visit
- Share all relevant course materials with the Instruction & Outreach Librarian including syllabus, assignment, etc.
- Identify collections using the Special Collections Request System (Aeon)
What to Expect
- Upon arriving to Special Collections, students will sign in with their names
- Students must store their bags and coats either in the lockers provided or in a section of the reading room
- While the proper care and handling of materials will be covered, instructors can help prepare for a visit to Special Collections by encouraging students to:
- Wash their hands before class begins
- Bring a pencil
- Be aware that all food and drinks (including water bottles) are prohibited in the Special Collections classroom
Request a Session
If possible, be sure to have a copy of your course syllabus ready to upload on the form.