Request delivery of physical materials, including books, musical scores, and book-like materials, to your shipping address. This service is available to UC Davis faculty, staff, and students.
Some materials cannot be shipped:
- Archives and Special Collections materials must be used onsite, by request.
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, materials available in the HathiTrust Digital Library can be accessed online by UC Davis faculty, staff, and students. If needed, you may request that chapters be scanned and sent to you via the library’s document delivery service.
- Materials stored at the UC’s Regional Library Facilities will not be available until those facilities resume normal operations post-pandemic.
- Some materials, such as reference books, DVDs, and microforms are not available via the Request feature. For those materials, please email firstname.lastname@example.org regarding your best options for access.
1. Request Material via the Library Catalog.
2. Sign in to your library account using your UC Davis Login (sign in is necessary for the Request option to appear).
3. Search the library catalog to locate the material.
4. Click the Title to open the full view of the record.
5. Scroll down to the “Get It” section and click Request. Depending whether the item being requested is a single item or part of a multi-volume set, the Request link may appear in different locations of the “Get It” section.
6. Enter your mailing address.
7. Click Request twice.
- Materials will be mailed to the address provided on the request.
- Estimated delivery time is 3-7 days from when the material is mailed.
- Materials available via the HathiTrust Digital Library are only accessible online. Instructions to access the material will be emailed to you in lieu of the physical item.
I’m faculty, staff, or student but don’t see the Request option. What’s going on?
If the Request option doesn’t appear, verify that you are signed in to your library account. If you’re signed in and Request still doesn’t appear, your library account is most likely missing a home address; please email email@example.com with your mailing address so that library staff can update your account.
Why do I need to click the Request button two times at the end?
We apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, there is a known “bug” that is causing this, and the vendor is working to fix the issue.
Why is my due date earlier than usual?
Due dates may be earlier than expected if your library account is expiring soon. The library is extending due dates indefinitely during this public health emergency so, once your campus appointment is updated, your material will automatically renew.
What if my material doesn’t arrive?
You will receive a confirmation email once your material is mailed. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you don’t receive the package within 10 days from the date of that message.
How can I return material?
If you are in the Davis area and would like to return materials, you can deposit returns via the remote book drops. Materials may also be mailed to the library. Contact email@example.com for additional instructions and to receive a postage-paid mailing label.
I got a reply that the book I want is in the HathiTrust and I need to access it online. Why can’t I get the physical book if we own it?
The HathiTrust Digital Library is responding to the current emergency by providing the UC system with temporary access to books in their digital library that are also in the UC Libraries’ physical collections, including those still under copyright, for as long as our library buildings remain closed. We would violate the terms of this agreement, which is designed to respect Fair Use of copyrighted material, if we provided physical access to materials that are also being made available via the HathiTrust site.
This online access includes nearly half the books in our collections, plus many books held at other UC campus libraries.
The book I need is already checked out. What can I do?
Currently, recalls are unavailable. If the book you need is already checked out, please email firstname.lastname@example.org regarding your best options for access.
I’m a Proxy and need to request material for my Sponsor. How do I do that?
Log in as yourself and follow the instructions above to request the material. In the field where you add the shipping address, please include “Proxy for…” language before the shipping address. Ex. “Proxy for John Doe: 1234 SendItHere St., My City, CA 98765.” The material will then be checked out to the sponsor (instead of you) and mailed to the shipping address listed.
I’d like to request a book from Archives and Special Collections. How do I do that?
Shipping of books and pamphlets from Archives and Special Collections is not available. Please contact email@example.com regarding the best options for access.
I don’t need this material anymore. How can I cancel the request?
If the request is still in process, simply login to your library My Account and click “Requests” along the top ribbon. Locate the request you no longer need and click “Cancel” then “Cancel It” to confirm. If they item has already been processed and shipped, please contact the library to return the item.
I’d like to request a book owned by the UC Davis Library, but the catalog says it is held at the Northern Regional Library Facility. Can I request it?
The NRLF is located in Richmond, and is under a different public health jurisdiction (Contra Costa County). Until it reopens, we are unable to provide access to materials stored there.
What about material not owned by UC Davis? Can I order these via interlibrary loan?
Interlibrary loan services of physical materials will resume when a critical mass of academic libraries have begun to reopen. Because the public health crisis is playing out differently in different parts of the country and world, we cannot yet provide an estimated timeline for when this will occur.