UC Davis Library locations have a wide variety of equipment and study spaces, including silent and group study areas, to meet the needs of the UC Davis community. It also offers study aids and other equipment, including microform readers, to assist in research and study needs.
The 24-Hour Study Room is located at Shields Library and is open to currently registered students 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The entrance to this space is located on the north side of building, directly across from the Quad. Students must swipe their student ID card at the card reader located at the entrance to access this space. Problems accessing the room should be reported to the Shields Library Circulation Desk.
Wireless access to the UC Davis Network is available in the 24-Hour Study Room. A campus telephone is available near the entrance to this room.
Study and collaboration rooms are available at all library locations. Spaces at Shields and the Physical Sciences and Engineering Libraries are available on a first-come, first-served basis only. Spaces at Carlson Health Sciences and Blaisdell Medical Libraries are available both on a a first come, first served basis as well as by reservation.
- Second Floor Study Rooms – three rooms, seats six
- Fourth Floor Study Room – one room, seats eight
Physical Sciences and Engineering Library
- Basement Study Room – one room, seats eight
Carlson Health Sciences Library [Make a Reservation]
- CHSL reservations are processed Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM till 4:30 PM.
- Room Reservation Policies
All study rooms have internet access and most rooms have chalk or white-boards. Collaboration rooms all have internet access, white boards, and pull-down screens for projection viewing.
- Basement Study Rooms – sixteen rooms, seats two to eight
- Main Floor Collaboration Rooms – three rooms, seats ten
- Main Floor Conference Room – seats twenty (reservations only)
Blaisdell Medical Library [Make a Reservation]
- BML reservations are processed Monday through Friday, 7 AM till 3:30 PM and on Saturday and Sunday mornings at opening time.
- Room Reservation Policies
Collaboration rooms all have wifi access, white boards, and laptop connections for wall-mounted monitors. Tandberg videoconferencing equipment is located in Room 1106. Study rooms have wifi access and mobile white boards.
- Collaboration Rooms – four rooms, seats four to eight
- Study Rooms – two rooms, seats four to six
Users may safely store belongings in lockers provided for both long- and short-term use.
Long-term use lockers are available for a quarter loan at the Shields Library and Carlson Health Sciences Library. Due to limited availability, Shields long term use lockers must be requested online and in advance. CHSL lockers may be borrowed in-person at the CHSL Circulation Desk.
Faculty [Add Your Name to the Waiting List]
Shields Library has 28 faculty study carrels that are available to members of the Academic Senate, Academic Federation research titles, and Emeriti faculty. Faculty carrels are assigned for library-centered projects requiring use and storage for significant amounts of library material. Faculty carrels are not intended for use as study or office space.
Graduate Students [Add Your Name to the Waiting List]
Shields Library has 35 graduate study carrels available to PhD and Masters students, based on availability.
Assignments are made for one year to the nearest beginning of a quarter. At the end of the assignment, the occupant must vacate the carrel. Graduate study carrels must be renewed quarterly but may not be renewed for longer than one year. Assignments will be made according to the waiting list kept in chronological order. Double assignments to a single carrel may be made if requested by both parties.
Reading and Reader-Printer Equipment
Microform reading machines are available at multiple library locations. These machines are available on a first-come, first-served basis with a 2 hour time limit while others are waiting. Assisted scanning can be arranged at each building’s circulation desk.
- Lower Level of the Shields Library (Microforms Reading Room) [Reserve this equipment]
- Includes a scanning workstation that allows users to create PDFs.
- Equipment can reserved up to 2 weeks in advance
- First Floor of the Carlson Health Sciences Library
- First Floor of the Physical Sciences and Engineering Library
The UC Davis has various tools and study aids available for check out. Individual charging lockers and battery packs, whiteboards and markers, headphones, power squids, and subject specific equipment (ex., atomic structure kits) are only a few of materials offered. Please inquire at the Circulation Desk of each library to see what equipment is available at that location.
There is also additional equipment and services designed to aid users with disabilities. Please see our Services for Users with Disabilities for more information.