Questions About Library Search
- Why are we changing library search?:
- The new library search offers a streamlined search box and fewer clicks to find the information you’re looking for. And it’ll be easier to get more results relevant to what you’re looking for.
- What are those 3 tabs?:
- Everything searches all content provided by UC Davis as well as hundreds of millions of citations; Library Catalog searches the items provided by UC Davis; Course Reserves shows you items on reserve for various classes.
- There are so many results! How do I limit my search?:
- The left navigation bar provides many useful limits, including author, subject, and date. Ask Your Librarian about how to develop a useful search.
- Can I limit my search to only see only what is available in particular campus library locations?:
- Yes! Library location is one of the limits in the left navigation bar.
- Ok, I’ve found something that looks useful. What do I do next?:
- Once you locate something interesting, click on Details to learn more about it and Availability to see where it is located. In many cases you can view the item online.
- Why should I create an account in library search?:
- An online account allows you to track requests you have made for library items, and also to see what you have currently checked out.
Top 6 Things to Know
- We are changing library search to make it easier to find what you need with fewer clicks.
- There are 3 main tabs — Everything includes content provided by UC Davis as well as hundreds of millions of citations; Library Catalog searches the items provided by UC Davis; Course Reserves shows you items on reserve for various classes.
- You can easily and intuitively limit your search, using the filters provided in the left navigation bar. Ask Your Librarian for more tips about getting the most from library search.
- It's easy to limit searches by campus library location.
- Once you identify an interesting item, there is clear information about whether it is available online or at a campus library.
- The My Account section is used to check the status of items you have on loan or requested. This is also where you go to personalize things like how many results are displayed per page.