- How to Use the VPN
- Desktop & Notebook Clients
- Mobile Device Clients
- Questions and Known Issues
- License Restrictions
- Barriers to Licensing Electronic Journals, Books, or Databases
- How to Remove the Proxy Configuration
- Contact Library Technical Support
- My Account
- Activate your library card
- Connect From Off Campus
- For Faculty and Graduate Students
- For Undergraduate Students
- Scholarly Communication
- UC Davis Open Access Fund
Connect from Off Campus
VPN Change Notice
As of June 13, 2016 — the web-vpn and proxy server is no longer available. Follow the links below to update to the VPN Client (Pulse Secure).
|If you are using||What to do|
|Web-VPN||Install the new VPN Client (Pulse Secure)|
|Proxy-Server||Remove the proxy configuration and install the new VPN Client (Pulse Secure)|
|old client VPN||No action required. Your client should automatically upgrade to the new version when you connect on or after June 13th.|
Why did the library change to the Pulse Secure VPN Client?
The new VPN client improves access to many databases, and allows patrons to be connected through all browser windows.
VPN access is limited to current UC Davis faculty, students, and staff, and requires a valid UCD LoginID
A virtual private network (VPN) provides a secure method of accessing licensed web resources restricted to systems assigned a campus IP address. Using the VPN Client, current UC Davis students, faculty, and employees may access our licensed resources from off campus with their UCD LoginID. The Harvest UC Davis Library catalog, Melvyl catalog, and free resources are open to all and do not require use of the VPN.
Your computer does not have a campus network address, and you are not able to access licensed resources. If you are currently affiliated with UC Davis, follow the directions below to install, configure, and use the VPN client. Continue reading.
VPN Client for Desktops and Notebooks: Installation & Use
The VPN Client (Pulse Secure) needs to be downloaded and installed on your personal computer. Please use one of the links below for instructions on how to install, configure, and use the VPN Client. You only need to do this once. You need administrator rights to install it, if you do not have them, contact your department IT staff. After installation, make sure the client program is running before accessing licensed resources.
The VPN Client (Pulse Secure) should work for the majority faculty, staff & students; but it may not work with all operating systems. See Questions & Known Issues.
- Not supported on versions earlier than 7
- How to install and use the client on Windows 7
- How to install and use the client on Windows 8/10
- How to Find out What Version of Windows You Have
- Get the client for Windows 32bit URL/Server - vpn.library.ucdavis.edu
- Get the client for Windows 64bit URL/Server - vpn.library.ucdavis.edu
- How to Find out If you need 32bit or 64 bit
Mac OS X
- Requires OS X 10.8 or higher
- How to install and use the client on Macintosh
- Get the client for Mac OS X URL/Server - vpn.library.ucdavis.edu
- How to Find out What Version of Mac OS You Have
After using the above instructions to install and configure the VPN Client, launch the application and log in with your UCD LoginID
Linux is not officially supported by the UC Davis Library. Those using Linux may try the Pulse client for Linux. Information for it can be found on our FAQ.
Native VPN App: Installation & Use
Some users may wish to make use of the native (built-in) VPN capabilities of their operating system. Please review the links below for instructions on how to install, configure, and use the native VPN client for the OSes listed. Only those OSes listed have a native VPN option.
- Requires access to Microsoft Store.
- How to install and use the built-in VPN client on Windows 10
- Download from Microsoft Store
VPN App for Mobile Devices: Installation & Use
Pulse Secure is a VPN app for Apple iOS and Android devices. Use Pulse Secure to log into the UC Davis network using either wifi or your telecommunication provider's services.
Pulse Secure is free. You may have network charges from your telecommunication provider, depending on your service plan. It may be downloaded from ITunes or from Android app providers.
- Requires OS version 2.2 or higher. Device support may vary by manufacturer.
- How to install and use the client on Android (4.3 or later)
- Download for Google
- Requires iOS 6.0 or higher
- How to install and use the client on iOS (7.0 or later) (instructions apply to both iPad and iPhone, screens may vary slightly)
- Download from iTunes
- Requires Chrome OS 43 or higher
- How to install the client on ChromeOS
- Download from Chrome Web Store
Once installed, launch the application and log in with your UCD LoginID
Connecting On Campus:
On-campus locations already have access to library resources. It should not be necessary to use the VPN to access library resources from these locations:
- Campus offices
- Campus computer networks (including Open Access Labs)
- UC Davis offices located off campus