Art Recreation Challenge
Welcome to the Shields Library Art Recreation Challenge! Join us for a creative, fun and family-friendly competition while learning about the art on display at Shields Library. We can’t wait to see what you come up with!
- Select an eligible artwork (painting, sculpture, etc.) from the Shields Library collections to recreate.
- Recreate the artwork using commonplace materials from your home. You may recruit family members, including pets, who want to help!
- Please see additional guidelines below.
- Share your recreation side-by-side with the original artwork on Instagram using the hashtag #ShieldsArtChallenge and tagging @ucdavislibrary.
- Your entry must be received by 10 a.m. PT on Picnic Day, April 17, 2021, to be eligible for the challenge.
We will repost all eligible entries to our UC Davis Library Instagram account on Picnic Day! Entries will be judged by members of the Shields Library Picnic Day committee.
For inspiration, check out Art Recreation Challenges that went viral last year:
Due to campus COVID-19 safety measures, participants should not visit the library in-person to photograph artwork from our collection on display. Instead, please select one of the following artworks from the gallery below for your recreation.
Don’t forget to use the hashtag #ShieldsArtChallenge and tag @ucdavislibrary when sharing your entry on Instagram.
Entries will be judged by members of the Shields Library Picnic Day committee. One winner will be selected in each of the following categories:
- Best approximation to your selected artwork
- Most creative use of a household item
The committee will contact winners directly via Instagram. Prizes include a travel coffee mug and a power bank/phone charger. Winning entries will be shared across our Instagram, Facebook and Twitter channels.
The library will accept submissions on Instagram until 10am PT on Picnic Day, April 17.
Members of the Shields Library Picnic Day Committee will vote on submissions reposted at our Instagram account on April 17.
Winners will be contacted via Instagram on Monday, April 19, and winning entries will be announced the same day.
- Participants should respect physical distancing and other applicable public health guidelines when recreating artworks.
- Please select one of the images provided on this page as the source for your recreation. Do not visit Shields Library in person to photograph artworks on display.
- Posts to private Instagram accounts will not be entered into the contest as we will not be able to see them.
- Photos must be the original work of the entrant and may not infringe the intellectual property, privacy, publicity rights, ownership or any other legal or moral rights of any third party.
- No third-party photo editing tools may be used to enhance submitted photos. Instagram filters are acceptable.
- Submissions should adhere to the UC Davis Principles of Community. Entries depicting or containing illegal activity will not be considered.
- All entries submitted become the property of UC Davis, and by participating you agree that UC Davis may use your submitted photo/video and post content for marketing and advertising purposes.
- Through your participation in this contest, you are providing your information to UC Davis and not to Instagram. You acknowledge that this contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram. By your participation in this contest, you agree to release UC Davis and Instagram from any liability related to the contest or your participation in the contest.
Dalmatians is located on the 2nd floor in the southwest stairwell (#82 on page 2 of the Library Art brochure).
The Portuguese Navigator or Twinkle Time is on the 2nd floor beside the Main Reading Room, northwest side (#49).
San Francisco Interior is on the 1st floor near the East Asian Languages Collection, southeast corner (#17).
Picnic Day, Molly’s Pete.
Shoe Salesman is on the 1st floor between Archives and Special Collections and the Courtyard (#34).
Ducks Descending Staircase has been relocated to the 1st floor between Archives and Special Collections and the Courtyard, near Shoe Salesman (#2).
Winning Equal Suffrage in California.
La Galleria is on the 2nd floor in the Main Reading Room (#62).